Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Breakfast of loafers

I know, I know, it's been, like 3 weeks. I've been busy, what can I tell you. I've got a lot of catching up to do, so don't be surprised if I post about valentine's day dinner in the middle of March.
On the weekends, Nick and I like to lounge for a little while. We make a pot of coffee, sip it slowly, and contemplate what to have for breakfast. Sometimes we make cinamon buns from a can. I really love those things. But sometimes, we make things from scratch. Like these pancakes.
Mmm Bananas
I used to buy box mixes for pancakes, but making them from scratch is almost just as easy, and it's one less thing to keep in the pantry. I'm always running out of room in my pantry. And in my closets. But that's another story.
This is a "4 grain" variety, which is really only three grains because white flour doesn't come from a different plant than wheat flour (not that I know of, at least).
Four grains
And when I make pancakes (or pannies as we refer to them)I always like to dollop some extra ingredients when the batter hits the pan. Often it's blueberries for me and chocolate chips for Nick. This time we went for bananas. They caramelize so nicely, and taste so ooey gooey delicious.
Pannies4
And because these are so hearty and grainy, and they even have fruit, I like to call them "healthy", so I pour on the syrup with reckless abandon. Because as a proud Canadian, I am a proponent of lots of maple syrup. The real stuff, from Canada.
Breakfast

Recipe
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Dry:
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup AP flour
1/3 cup cornmeal (adds a lovely crunch and sweetness)
1/4 cup ground oats (grind oats in a clean coffee grinder)
2 Tablespoons natural sugar (less if you're using bananas)
2 teaspoons baking soda

Wet:
1 3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup honey
3 eggs

Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Whisk wet ingredients in a second, smaller bowl.
Add wet ingredients to dry, and mix just until combined.

Pour about 1/2 a cup of batter at a time into a hot non-stick or well seasoned cast iron skillet. Quickly drop thin slices of banana or other fruit (blueberries are wonderful, even straight from the freezer) before flipping.

This recipe makes about 14-20 pancakes, depending on the size. I think they serve about 6. They're incredibly hearty, so you probably only need 2 to 3 pannies per serving. Keep them warm in the oven while you make the rest of the batches by keeping a rimmed cookie sheet in there at about 250F.

No comments:

Post a Comment