Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fried zuke

My mom was not a big baker, but she did like making zucchini bread. Unfortunately for her, I did not like zucchini as a kid. I'll tell you, I was not a picky eater at all. I ate everything, including artichokes, and fish, and most everything else. But zucchini, and black olives, I would not eat. And for a couple of years in the mid nineties I completely refused to eat pizza. I digress... zucchini.
I have since grown to like zucchini, although not in all applications. I'm still not big on the zucchini bread, but I do like zucchini fritters.
fried zuke
They're pretty easy to make. I imagine these could go very well with hummus or in a pita or sandwich of some kind. I just eat them with flavored mayo. I don't typically measure my ingredients, so this is roughly how I made these, but feel free to add, reduce, or entirely remove the parts you don't like.

1. Crack and egg in a bowl.
2. Shred 4 to 5 zucchini into bowl.
Grated zucchini
3. Add some bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt and pepper, and any flavorings you may want to add.
The ingredients
4. Form into patties. I used a number 10 scooper - it's the same one I use for making muffins.
scoop 'o zuke
5. Coat in breadcrumbs. I found that without this step, the patties just don't brown up as nicely as I'd like.
rolled in bread crumbs
6. Fry in a pan with some olive oil, or whatever you like to use. When I say "fry" I mean pan fry. Lie, just use enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
Frying in cast iron
7. Enjoy! Make some fresh mayo in just a few minutes, maybe with some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Yum.
green dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment